Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Records of a multi-service, non-profit agency, organized in 1978 to promote economic self-sufficiency among African American families and to seek racial inclusion in Mecklenburg County (N.C.) communities. Contains miscellaneous records of the Urban League for the year 1981 only, including membership reports and lists, financial reports, and an affiliate assessment report.
The interviews focus on the educational experiences of members of the African American community of Charlotte during the era of segregation. Many interviewees also discuss how things changed once segregation ended and their children’s school experiences.
Papers documenting Rev. Galen Hahn's work as a community organizer in the Sterling community in southern Mecklenburg county in 1969. Includes meeting minutestues, correspondence, journal entries, unpublished manuscripts and photographs. There is also a cassette and audio CD from Walter and Lillie Dial made for the 30th anniversary of Rev. Hahn and his wife.
UNC Charlotte graduate students conducted the interviews in this collection in 2004 and 2007 as the centerpiece of a class on “Oral History and Memory” directed by professor Karen Flint. The oral history project sought to document Brooklyn’s history, including social, cultural and economic aspects of the neighborhood.
- Subject: African Americans -- Social conditions X
- Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 2
- Oral Histories, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte 2
- African Americans -- Education 2
- Community organization -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 2
- Interviews (Sound recordings) 2
- Oral histories 2
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- North Carolina 1
- African Americans -- Segregation 1
- African Americans -- Segregation -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Brooklyn (Charlotte, N.C.) -- History 1
- Community development, Urban -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Occupational training -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Race discrimination -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Racism in education 1
- Segregation in education -- North Carolina 1
- Urban renewal -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1 ∧ less
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Urban League 1
About this SiteFinding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:
Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
Schedule an Appointment