Office of International Programs records
Scope and Contents
The Office of International Programs records consists of correspondence, reports, notes, statistical information, brochures, and newspaper clippings related to the planning, implementation, promotion, and publicity of international programs at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The collection is divided into the following three series: Program Files (1978-2002); Printed Material (1975-1991); and Reports and Academic Planning (1979-2004).
The Program Files series is arranged alphabetically by country, with a general file at the beginning of the inventory. These files contain correspondence and other material relating to the establishment and maintenance of international partnerships.
The Printed Material series contains brochures, pamphlets, and articles promoting and publicizing international opportunities at UNC Charlotte.
The Reports and Academic Planning series is arranged chronologically and contains early reports and mission/goal statements from the Center for International Studies as well as annual report and academic planning materials and presentations to the provost.
- 1975 - 2004
Accessing the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Office of International Programs (OIP) at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte was established in 1975 as the Program for International Studies. The impetus to create such a program came from the desire of Chancellor Dean Colvard, articulated in 1966, to increase international awareness at the university and in Charlotte.
This information and the following quoted history comes from a booklet in “Center for International Studies Reports” (Box 3, Folder 167 of this collection).
“In 1970, the first concrete step toward establishing an international program was taken. The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs appointed a committee of students, staff members, and faculty members from nine departments and charged it with the task of developing recommendations for an International Studies Program.
“Three years later, on March 1, 1973, the International Studies Committee submitted its final report to the Vice Chancellor. In its formal recommendations, the committee proposed establishing an International Studies Program; developing a curriculum model that would allow students to have an interdisciplinary concentration in International Studies in addition to meeting department requirements for the baccalaureate; expanding overseas opportunities for faculty members and students; and increasing international activities for the entire university and the Charlotte community.
“After a year and a half of review, final authorization came on August 25, 1975, when Chancellor Colvard announced that he was establishing the Program for International Studies at UNCC, fulfilling a long-term commitment.
“As the international activities became increasingly varied during the latter part of the 1970’s, the Program for International Studies became the Center for International Studies to reflect its more comprehensive scope.”
From 1980, the Center was located in the Division of Research and Public Service, and in the 1990s its name was changed to the Office of International Programs. As of 2018, OIP is located in the Division of Academic Affairs.
3.75 Linear Feet (3 boxes [3 record cartons])
Language of Materials
This collection consists of four accessions, two of which had been processed as separate collections and two of which were unprocessed as of April 2018. In April 2018, the four accessions were merged into a single collection by Olivia Eanes, archives assistant.
There is no folder 14. Folders 137-152 came from the office of Ed Brynn.
- Administrative reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Educational exchanges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Foreign study Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student exchange programs -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Students, Foreign -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of North Carolina (System)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Administration
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Students
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. International Festival
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Office of International Programs
- Office of International Programs records
- Legacy description modified and additions made by Olivia Eanes
- April 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States