Department of Philosophy records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records of the Department of Philosophy from the time it was separated from the Department of Religious Studies in 1972. Included are annual reports (1972/1973-1988/1989) and one file containing memoranda, correspondence, and other material pertaining to the Distinguished Professorship in Health Care Ethics.
- 1972 - 1997
Accessing the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Department of Philosophy was initially part of the Department of Philosophy and Religion at Charlotte College. This program was begun in 1964 by Loy H. Witherspoon at the desire of college president Bonnie Cone and existed as part of the College of Arts and Sciences upon Charlotte College’s becoming the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina in 1965. In 1972, the department was divided into the separate departments of Philosophy and Religious Studies.
Organizationally, by the late 1960s, the Department of Philosophy and Religion was part of the Division of Humanities, which became the College of Humanities in 1971. In 1980, the College of Humanities became part of the College of Arts and Sciences, which maintained its title until 2008 when it became the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
0.209 Linear Feet (1 box [1 slim letter document case])
Language of Materials
Records of the Department of Philosophy at UNC Charlotte
This collection was processed years prior to its being described in January 2018.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Medical ethics -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Philosophy -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Department of Philosophy -- Administration
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Faculty
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Department of Philosophy
- Department of Philosophy records
- Olivia Eanes
- January 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States