Skip to main content

William States Lee College of Engineering records

Identifier: UA0086

Scope and Contents

The William States Lee College of Engineering Records consists of faculty minutes, annual reports, accreditation questionnaires, consultant reports (1969-1972), and materials pertaining to academic planning, new degree programs, scholarships, advisory bodies, space concerns, and new building construction. Other topics covered include alumni, the computer science program, College of Engineering history, and dedication of the William States Lee College name. Also included are scrapbooks from the Auxiliary of the Professional Engineers of North Carolina dating from 1953 to 2003.

Annual Reports include information on enrollments, budget, graduate study plans and employment prospects of graduates, recruitment of women and minority groups, faculty activities (including publications and research), and materials on teaching loads, course schedules, and curriculum.

The collection is divided into the following eight series: Faculty; Annual Reports; Accreditation and Academic Planning; Scholarships (Inactive); Advisory Bodies; Dean’s Alphabetical Subject Files; Planning and Construction—EPIC Building; Auxiliary of the Professional Engineers of North Carolina.


  • Creation: 1965 - 2012


Accessing the Collection

This collection is open for research.


Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Administrative History

What is now the William States Lee College of Engineering at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte began as course offerings in engineering at the Charlotte College Center in 1946. When Charlotte College became the University of North Carolina at Charlotte in 1965, Engineering became its own department and was elevated into a division by the 1969/1970 academic year. In 1973, the division became a college encompassing the following four departments: Engineering Analysis and Design; Engineering Science, Mathematics and Materials; Urban and Environmental Engineering; and Engineering Technology.

The first Master’s program was begun in 1979, and in 1981 the College started the process of restructuring into Mechanical, Civil, and Electrical Engineering departments. The rest of the 1980s brought several beginnings including the Computer Science Department (1984), an inter-institutional Ph.D. program (1986), and degree-specific Master’s programs (1987). In 1993, Ph.D. programs were begun in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, and the following year the College was dedicated as the William States Lee College of Engineering. During 1997-1998, the motorsports program began, and the School of Information Technology was created, leading to Computer Science’s move out of Engineering in 2000.

For a detailed timeline and a more comprehensive narrative, see the College’s website:


17.864 Linear Feet (28 boxes [22 letter document cases; 2 slim letter document cases; 4 oversize flat boxes])

1.362 Gigabytes

Language of Materials


Related Materials

Previous versions of the William States Lee College of Engineering website dating back to 2015 have been archived and are available at:*/

Department of Software and Information Systems Records (UA0782)

North Carolina State Engineering Extension Program Records (UA0062)

Charlotte College Records (UA0034)

Academic Affairs Faculty Governance Records (UA0178)

Academic Affairs Vice Chancellor Subject Files (UA0001)

Academic Affairs, Academic Planning and Curriculum Records (UA0314)

Office of Assessment and Accreditation Records (UA0007)

Graduate Studies Records (UA0109)

Graduate School Dean's Office Records (UA0133)

Chancellor (Dean W. Colvard) Records (UA0026)

Chancellor (E. K. Fretwell) Records (UA0030)

Chancellor (James H. Woodward) Records (UA0174)  

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Records (UA0072)

Office of Public Relations Records (UA0226)

UNC Charlotte Photographs (UA0066)

Processing Information

This collection consists of nine accessions that were originally processed as separate collections. In spring 2018, the accessions were merged into this single collection by Olivia Eanes, archives assistant, and each was made to be a series. The Dean’s Subject Files consists of two accessions, each of which was an alphabetical grouping of files, one dating from 1965 to 2003 and the other from 1966 to 2005. Physically, the files remain in the two original groups, but in the inventory, the files have been consolidated into a single alphabetical listing.

Folder numbers from original processing were maintained during the merge, so there is more than one folder with a given number in this collection.

William States Lee College of Engineering records
Legacy description modified and additions made by Olivia Eanes
May 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections:; 704-687-1170] Repository

Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States

About this Site

Finding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:

Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
(704) 687-1170
Schedule an Appointment