Student Activities Office records
Scope and Contents
The Student Activities Office Records cover the period of the early 1970s to the early 2000s and document the administrative functions of the office, including the development of budgets, creating of reports, conducting of surveys, and scheduling of events. Also documented are the work of various committees; the renovation and expansion of related facilities, such as the grand opening of the Student Activity Center in 1997; and the planning and promotion of programs, exhibits, and annual events, such as Homecoming and the International Festival. Select material from the Student Government Association (SGA) and administration of student clubs and organizations can also be found in this collection, as can documentation of the Leadership Fellows program.
Not included are posters from sponsored events. These items can be found in the Campus Activities Board records.
- 1963, 1974-2003
Accessing the Collection
This collection contains some restricted material. Certain program files and a file concerning nominations for a Women of the Year award are restricted and must be reviewed by archives staff for Personally Identifiable Information (PII) before access can be granted.
Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Student Activities Office was a unit of Student Union, Activities and Recreation (SUAR) within the Division of Student Affairs. As of 2017, its subunits included the Center for Leadership Development, the Multicultural Resource Center (begun in 2000), Religious and Spiritual Life, Student Niner Media, the Venture program, and Student Involvement, which includes Student Organizations, Student Government, and the Campus Activities Board (formerly University Program Board). The office also sponsored programming and Homecoming events.
In 2018, the Division of Student Affairs underwent restructuring. Some of the offices previously under the purview of the Student Activities Office were merged into the new Office of Identity, Equity and Engagment, which reports directly to the Dean of Students Office. SUAR was renamed Student Venues and Engagement; the Student Activites Office was eliminated; and the offices previously under its purview were assigned to report directly to Student Venues and Engagement, which now includes the Cone University Center; Conferences, Reservations and Event Services; Leadership and Community Engagement; Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life; Popp Martin Student Union; Student Activities Center and Venue Management; Student Involvment; Student Niner Media; and Venture Outdoor Leadership.
10.633 Linear Feet (24 boxes - 19 legal document cases; 3 letter document cases; 1 slim letter document case; 1 record carton)
Language of Materials
Originally received in six accessions of overlapping chronology, these records have been merged into a single collection. For the most part, each accession has been maintained physically together in sequential boxes. Intellectually, however, the files have been rearranged from multiple groupings of alphabetical subject files or files with no discernable arrangement into the following six series to aid in discovery:
Administrative Records; Events and Exhibits; Facilities; Student Clubs and Organizations, Leadership Programs, and Student Government; Memorabilia; and External Storage Media and Compact Discs.
See the Scope and Contents note for each series for further arrangement information.
In 2017, 9.167 linear feet of contracts, receipts, invoices, check requests, memoranda about student payroll, purchase orders, and other student-related records were discarded per retention schedule (see GU6, GU80, GU87).
- Administrative reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College student government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Societies, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Compact discs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Floppy disks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Memorabilia Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (Administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Planning Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Student-administrator relationships -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Surveys (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Students
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Office of Student Activities
- Student Activities Office records
- Olivia Eanes
- June 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: firstname.lastname@example.org; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States