Student Affairs Vice Chancellor (Bonnie Cone) records, 1965-1975
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of files created primarily during Bonnie Cone’s tenure, although a few items from 1974 and 1975 are also included. Among the files are correspondence, memoranda, reports on admissions, and material on athletics, civic organizations, commencement, committees (divisional, faculty, and university), community college conferences, counseling services, enrollment, faculty, financial aid, residence halls, and other subjects of direct interest to the vice chancellor.
Of particular interest are letters congratulating Bonnie Cone on Charlotte College’s becoming the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina system. Also included are speeches given by Bonnie Cone at various university and community events.
- Creation: 1965 - 1975
- Cone, Bonnie E., 1907-2003 (Person)
Accessing the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The position of Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Community Relations was established in 1966, just after UNC Charlotte became the fourth campus of the University of North Carolina and selected its first chancellor. Between 1949 and 1965 issues regarding student affairs were handled by Bonnie Cone, director and later president of Charlotte College. Miss Cone continued to handle student-related issues while serving as acting-chancellor of UNC Charlotte (1965-1966). In 1966 she was named the first Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Community Relations, a position she held until 1973.
From 1973 to 1974, Harold Clarke, the University Registrar, served as the Chairman of the Student Affairs Division during the search for Miss Cone’s successor. When Douglas Orr, Jr. succeeded “Miss Bonnie” in 1974, the position became the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
8.34 Linear Feet (20 boxes (18 legal document cases; 2 letter document cases))
Language of Materials
Initially, this collection was received as two accessions and was processed as two separate collections—subject files and speeches. In 2017, these were merged together, and the speeches accession was made a series among the subject files. Physically, however, the speeches accession is housed at the end of the collection.
Files are arranged alphabetically by subject. Where multiple files have the same initial heading, they have been grouped together into series.
Physically, within the speeches series, folders are filed chronologically. Upon initial processing, the files were inventoried in alphabetical order. Both the physical chronological arrangement and the intellectual alphabetical one have been maintained.
- Cone, Bonnie E., 1907-2003 (Person)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (Organization)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Community Relations (Organization)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Division of Student Affairs (Organization)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Office of Student Activities (Organization)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Students (Organization)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Administration (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Conference proceedings
- Student affairs services -- North Carolina -- Charlotte
- speeches (documents)
- Student Affairs Vice Chancellor (Bonnie Cone) records, 1965-1975
- Legacy description modified and additions made by Olivia Eanes
- August 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States