Department of English records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of records from the Department of English, such as memoranda and correspondence, committee notes and rosters, brochures, faculty minutes, annual reports, self-studies, and news clippings. Topics covered include Black Studies, Communication Studies, curriculum, the honors program, guest speakers, Writer’s Forums, and the Summer Institute of Linguistics, among others. Also included is the 1979 rationale for the department and a syllabus for the course Appalachian Cultures in Transition (1974).
The collection is organized into four series (Self Studies and Reports; Faculty Minutes; Committees; and Writing Projects and Forums) and several single files.
- 1964-1981, 1993
Accessing the Collection
This collection is open for research.
Copyright held by UNC Charlotte. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Department of English at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte has existed from the institution’s inclusion in the UNC System in 1965. When the university was organized into divisions, the department was included in the Division of Humanities. From 1971 to 1980 this parent unit was known as the College of Humanities. As of 2018, the Department of English is part of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, which was called the College of Arts and Sciences from 1980 to 2008.
The following are individuals who have served as department chair for the Department of English:
Robert Marsden Wallace (1965-1972)
Glenn Stephen Burne (1972-1978)
Julian Dewey Mason, Jr. (1978-1985)
Frederik Northrop Smith (1985-1991)
Jay Jacoby (Interim - 1991-1993)
Ronald F. Lunsford (1993-2001)
Cyril Knoblauch (2001-2007)
Malin Pereira (2007-2012)
Mark Irwin West (2012-present)
The majority of this information was taken from the university’s catalogs, which are available online. (http://library.digitalnc.org/cdm/search/searchterm/University%20of%20North%20Carolina%20Charlotte--Curricula--Catalogs/order/datea)
1.25 Linear Feet (1 box [1 record carton])
Language of Materials
Records of the Department of English of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte from 1964 to 1981 and 1993.
This collection consists of three separate accessions. Two were interfiled when processed years prior to the collection’s being described by Olivia Eanes, archival assistant, in January 2018. The third, the 1974 course syllabus, had been processed as a single-folder collection, but was merged into this collection in January 2018.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Education, Higher -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English language -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English literature -- Study and teaching (Higher) -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (Administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Notes (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rosters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Universities and colleges -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Faculty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Administration
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- Faculty
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Department of English
- Department of English records
- Olivia Eanes
- January 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States