Political Science, 1947/1948-1948/1949
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the functions of the Charlotte College Center of the University of North Carolina from 1946 to 1949, and includes correspondence, faculty records, examinations, instructor’s reports, financial reports, and memoranda. Other topics of interest include student government, athletics, the glee club, accreditation, buildings, specific courses, and the selection of community members such as Clarence Kuester, Murrey Atkins, and Henry Belk, Jr., for the formation of an advisory committee.
The correspondence files (folders 15-22), the bulk of which are between the Charlotte Center’s two directors and Charles E. McIntosh, assistant director of the UNC Extension Directorate, are arranged in chronological order and contain material relating to routine administrative matters as well as policy development and procedure establishment for the program. Other correspondents include faculty members and administrators at UNC-Chapel Hill; Dr. Elmer Garinger, associate superintendent of the Charlotte school system; staff members of various colleges and high schools; and officials of professional associations.
Separate files contain correspondence with North Carolina State College (folder 23), which sponsored and advised on engineering courses, and the Veterans Administration (folder 24), which paid the expenses of qualified veterans.
Files that contain material similar to that found in the correspondence files include "Memoranda to Instructors" (folders 57-58), "N. C. College Centers" (folder 60), and "N. C. College Center Memoranda" (folders 61-63). The latter memoranda consist of a numbered series of instructions issued by the Extension Directorate to establish uniform policies and procedures throughout the program. Among other topics discussed are: organization of the college center program and of the Charlotte center specifically; the appointment of the first faculty; financial problems; curriculum; admission and course requirements; the relationship of the center to the Charlotte city school system; and the campaign to establish a permanent institution.
Additional material on faculty recruitment will be found in "Faculty--Applications and Correspondence" (folder 38). The campaign to establish a permanent institution is further documented in files marked "Advisory Committee" (folder 3); "Student Opinion of CCUNC" (folder 75); and "Legislation" (folder 52), which includes a copy of the 1949 act authorizing the creation of the Charlotte Community College System.
Accessing the Collection
This collection is open for research.
From the Collection: 2.5 Linear Feet (2 record cartons)
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English
Part of the University Archives, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte [All collections not yet online. For assistance, contact Special Collections: email@example.com; 704-687-1170] Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States