Civil War scrapbook, 1858-1881
Scope and Contents
Scrapbook of clippings about the American Civil War. Although owner of scrapbook made a label for the cover indicating the years spanned were 1858-1881, there is indication that some material was lost from the book over the years. The actual contents as presented now span 1858-1879. Clipping sources include sermons as published in local papers, political viewpoints, current events and reports from battles and troop activities during the war. The last entry in the scrapbook is a eulogy for a former enslaver who was a very prominent member of Louisville society, Mrs. William C. Bullitt (Mildred).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Civil War scrapbook is the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Clippings from newspapers from Louisville, K.Y., Philadelphia, P.A., and Baltimore, M.D., primarily concerning the Civil War. Dates from these clippings span the years of 1858-1879.
Name of the scrapbook on the front pastedown end papers; "Mark Twain's Scrap Book, registered April 23rd, 1878" indicates that articles, etc. were collected over the Civil War era and then assembled and compiled into the book.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Confederate States of America -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil War scrapbook
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note