Steve Perille photographs
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of the professional and personal photographic work of Steve Perille, a photojournalist who worked for the Bloomington Herald-Times, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and the Charlotte Observer. A noted photographic essayist, the collection includes prints and negatives of his features, news, pictorial, portraits, and sports photography.
- 1968 - 1997
- 1970 - 1985
- Perille, Steve (Photographer, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Steve Perille photographs are the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Steve Perille is a prolific photographer and an award-winning photojournalist. While working for The Charlotte Observer, he was the 1975 Southern Photographer of the Year, but his images are more about the social landscape than hard news.
Perille, a native of Wisconsin, was introduced to photography as a young boy by his uncle, Jim Mescal, who was a photographer for The Chicago Sun-Times. He attended the Milwaukee Institute of Technology and worked as a staff photographer at the Bloomington Herald-Times and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, before joining the Charlotte Observer as a staff photographer in 1972. Perille left the Observer to pursue other interests in 1983, but still lives in the Charlotte area.
40 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Black and white photographs (many with negatives) taken by photographic essayist, Steve Perille.
The collection is arranged into the following four series: Photographic Prints (1969-1997), Negatives (1970-1992), Slides (1970-1974) and Non-Photo Material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was received from Steve Perille in 2011.
Steve Perille: Unfiltered RARE TR140.P45 A34 2010
Bound catalog from a 2010/2011 exhibit at Middleton McMillan Gallery, Charlotte, N.C. It was part of The Light Factory's "In Our Own Backyard" series, curated by Byron Baldwin.
Original processing by Robert McInnes, 2011; intellectual arrangement and additional processing by Stacy Rue, 2014; and rehousing by Brittany Strong, 2015.
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Documentary photography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalism, Pictorial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Perille, Steve
- Photography, Artistic Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photojournalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Steve Perille photographs
- Finding aid written by Robert McInnes, 2011; Stacy Rue, 2015.
- March 2011; April 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note