Key to the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
Scope and Contents
One sterling key (4.9 cm) to the City of Charlotte embossed "Stan Brookshire, Mayor" on verso. The key was given to Betty Yelton Alexander in 1991 in recognition of 30.5 years of service in the City of Charlotte Purchasing Department (1961-1991). Brookshire served as mayor of Charlotte from 1961-1969. Betty Yelton Alexander died in 2014 at age 82. She was a native of Rutherford County, NC but resided much of her adult life in Charlotte, NC. She was a member of St. John's Methodist Church in Charlotte. Mrs. Yelton was the daughter of Charles and Nora Yelton. She was a graduate of R.S. Central High School and Kings Business School. She retired from the City of Charlotte, Purchasing Department after 30 ½ years. She had one child, Alison A. Wilson, who donated this object in her memory.
- Wilson, Alison A. (Donor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Key to the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina is the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Stanford Raynold "Stan" Brookshire was a mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina. Brookshire served as mayor from 1961 to 1969.
0.33 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Contains one sterling key to the City of Charlotte emobossed, "Stan Brookshire" on verso that was given to Betty Yelton Alexander in recognition of 30 1/2 years of service in the City of Charlotte Purchasing Department.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Alison Wilson, 2014.
The collection was processed in 2014 by Julie Henry.
- Alexander, Betty Yelton (Honoree)
- Brookshire, Stanford R. (Associated name)
- Ceremonial objects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charlotte (N.C.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Municipal ceremonial -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Key to the City of Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
- C. Geisler/J. Henry
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note