P. H. Hanes Knitting Company newspaper advertisement
Scope and Contents
Full page advertisement (page 4) from Charlotte Observer, Nov. 2, 1919 featuring P. H. Hanes Knitting Company, Winston-Salem, NC. Produced by Universal Gravure Corp., NY, it highlights the processing plant and accompanying village for the manufacture of elastic knit and cotton ribbed winter underwear. Photos depict the superintendents residence and yarn spinning plants no. 3 and 4, view of the carding department, scene in the village, a spinning room, the graded school for employee's children and a bird's eye view of the the Winston-Salem plant. Page 1 of the pictorial gravure section is a photo montage entitled, "The Centre of Auto Business in the South - Charlotte." Pages 2 and 3 are photos from popular movies of that day and from around-the-world.
- 1919 November 2
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The P. H. Hanes Knitting Company newspaper advertisement is the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Pleasant Henderson Hanes and his brother James Gordon Hanes sold a very successful tobacco business in the 1890s to the American Tobacco Company, organized by James B. Duke. With the proceeds, the brothers founded a knitwear business. Pleasant joined with his two sons, to open P.H. Hanes in 1901. The P. H. Hanes Knitting Company produced underwear and other related items. P.H. Hanes Knitting Company was a historic textile mill complex located at Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, North Carolina. The complex included three buildings. The Knitting Building or North Building was built in 1920-1921, and was a six-story, Beaux-Arts style concrete and steel building sheathed in brick.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Contains a full page advertisement for the P.H. Hanes Knitting Company that was published in the Charlotte Observer on November 2, 1919.
The collection was processed in 2014 by Julie Henry.
- Advertising -- Textile industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Company towns -- North Carolina -- Winston-Salem Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hanes, P. H. (Pleasant Henderson)
- P. H. Hanes Knitting Co. (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
- Textile factories -- North Carolina -- Winston-Salem Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- P. H. Hanes Knitting Co. (Winston-Salem, N.C.) (Organization)
- Charlotte observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) (Organization)
- Hanes Knitting Company advertisement
- C. Geisler/J. Henry
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States