Charlotte Business Guild records
Scope and Contents
Records comprise administrative records, publications, and memorabilia of the Charlotte Business Guild. Administrative records include meeting minutes, membership directory, and correspondence. Publications include printed ephemera and the organizational newsletter "Guild News" (1998-1999) and "The Networker" (2007-2012). Memorabilia includes t-shirts produced by the organization.
- 1998 - 2014
- Charlotte Business Guild (Charlotte, N.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Charlotte Business Guild records are the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Charlotte Business Guild was organized in 1992 to foster a network of business contacts and friendships, encourage fellowship, and support among business, professional and charitable pursuits, and provide and promote positive role models in Charlotte's lesbian and gay community. The organization seeks to provide a diverse network of professional, business and social connections among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and straight communities.
In October 2015 the organization changed its name to the Charlotte LGBT Chamber of Commerce. The organization's member services include LGBT Business Enterprise certification, a mobile app, a business equality index, an expanded business expo, and regular seminar meetings to educate members on issues surrounding image, finances, and more. The organization supports diversity among its members and its board, reflecting the broad landscape of those it serves.
Source: "About us & History," Charlotte Business Guild, , http://charlottebusinessguild.org/about-us-and-history/ accessed 2015 September 17); Millen, Lainey, "The Charlotte Business Guild changes its name to the Charlotte LGBT Chamber of Commerce," Q-Notes, https://goqnotes.com/38169/charlotte-business-guild-changes-name-charlotte-lgbt-chamber-of-commerce/ (accessed 2018 July 30)
1.29 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Charlotte Business guild was created in 1992 as a professional network for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and allied members of the community. The collection includes organization records such as meeting minutes, a member directory, newsletters, donation letters, and clippings.
The collection is arranged into the following five series: Membership, Newsletters, Correspondence, Clippings and Assorted.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Charlotte Business Guild, 2014 August.
Forms part of the King-Henry-Brockington LGBTQ+ Archive.
Collection processed by Christine Marolda, student assistant, October 2015.
- Charlotte Business Guild (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Community organization -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gay activists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gay business enterprises -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gays -- Social networks -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorandums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (Administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- T-shirts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Guide to the Charlotte Business Guild Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script