Central Hotel invitation
Scope and Contents
Invitation to an event at the Central Hotel, Charlotte, North Carolina, dated 29 May 1873. The invitation reads "Party. Complimentary to our visitors. Central Hotel, Thursday Evening, May 29th, 1873. You are respectfully invited to attend." Managers are listed as follows: R.A. Springs; H.C. Jones; J.D. Williams, Jr.; E.B. Springs; C.D. Snow; Johnstone Jones; Dr. T.J. Moore; J.H.; Wilson, Jr.; J.C. Mills; Robt. S. Phifer; John F. Orr; Wm. R. Sadler. The invitation is inscribed compliments of Martin White.
- Creation: 1873 May 29
- Central Hotel (Charlotte, N.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Central Hotel Invitation is the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Central Hotel was one of the longest operating hotels in Charlotte (1849-1930s.) Central Hotel's popular advertising slogans, "Pleases all people all the time" and "Good rooms, good beds, good table, electric fans in dining room" showed the service initiative of this popular hotel at the southeast corner of Trade and Tryon Streets from 1840 to the 1930s, Charlotte, NC. It first operated as a tavern, then became the Sadler's Hotel in 1846. Later it was renamed the Mansion House. In 1853/54, it was rebuilt and became home to Charlotte's most elegant bar and high-ceilinged dining room. When it first opened, a bowl and pitcher supplied bath water to the rooms, hot water brought if requested. The name was again changed in the 1870s. The owners of the hotel boasted of its large, elegant ballroom. It was reportedly the largest hotel between Washington, DC and Atlanta, GA. Even though there was no elevator, the four-story Central Hotel was one of the finest hotels between Richmond and Atlanta. Ornate gaslit chandeliers, brass cuspidors, elaborate wallpaper and wainscoting decorated the lobby and main floor. There was even a separate entrance for ladies. In 1931, the Central Hotel became the Albert Hotel. It had 125 rooms.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Contains an invitation to a party at the Central Hotel at the southeast corner of Trade and Tryon streets in Charlotte, NC dated May 29, 1873.
The collection was processed in 2015 by Julie Henry.
- Central Hotel invitation
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States