Ethel Trotter Williams papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised of letters, diaries, and notebooks. The correspondence is written primarily by John F. Williams to his wife, both before and after they were married. The diaries were kept by Ethel Trotter as a teenager in high school and in college.
- 1910 - 1950
- Williams, Ethel Trotter (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Ethel Trotter Williams was born in 1897 to Morris E. and Helen Trotter of Charlotte. The family resided at 1608 Elizabeth Avenue. Ethel attended Queens College, taught school in Charlotte [according to the City Directory, she taught at Belmont and Elizabeth Heights] and Bessemer City, N.C., and married John F. Williams of Charlotte around 1922. Prior to their marriage, he worked as a traveling salesman for Williams & Shelton Company, a wholesaler of dry goods located at 406 South Tryon Street in Charlotte. He later worked for Southern Power Company and its successor, Duke Power, as a load dispatcher. [According to city directories and return addresses on envelopes, they lived at 1509 East 4th Street and 2106 Greenway in Charlotte.]
0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box (shared))
Language of Materials
Papers of Williams as a teenager, college student, wife, and mother in Charlotte in the first half of the 20th century. Includes her diaries (1910-1916) and letters (1917-1938) to her from her husband, John F. Williams.
The collection is arranged into a single, alphabetical folder title series.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Tony Crumbley, 1999.
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Personal narratives -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College students -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Queens College (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Williams, Ethel Trotter
- Williams, John F.
- Women -- North Carolina -- Diaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Papers of Ethel Trotter Williams
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note