Skip to main content

John L. Morehead papers concerning land transactions

Identifier: MS0090

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised of 55 documents (1765-1881) concerning acquisition of land by Robert Washington Smith in Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties near Rocky River, Mallard, Coddle, and Buffalo Creeks, and present day U.S. Highway 29, and including, possibly, land in Cabarrus County at U.S. Highway 29 and Morehead Road (site of the Charlotte Motor Speedway). Collected by John Lindsay Morehead (1833-1901) [see Dictionary of North Carolina Biography (Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1991): 4:321], the documents reflect an apparent title search during the 1850s of lands owned wholly or in part by the Morehead family. Comprised of deeds, memoranda of agreement, and surveyor's statements, the documents include originals and handwritten copies (1853). Also includes statements (1850s) by Morehead concerning the validity of some documents.

Transferral of land ownership of any land is traced to 1765, when Henry Eustace McCulloh (also McCulloch), either as owner or as agent for Augustus Lord Selwyn, divided the land in Mecklenburg County (which includes present day Cabarrus County, formed from Mecklenburg in 1792). Other owners included Edward Giles (also Gilles), Andrew Alexander, Arthur Donalson, John Fields, Moses Alexander, Robert Archibald, Joseph Patton, Joseph Graham, Alexander Kennedy, Nathaniel Alexander, James Frazier, William Harris, George Stafford, R. M. Murry, Alexander McRee, Henry Houston, Adam Meek, Jacob Hudson, James Craton, Daniel Alexander, Levi and Sarah Russel, Nathaniel Gilmer, Andrew and Susannah Burns, and William Alexander.

Some documents (1856) reflect land ownership by John Lindsay Morehead and the sale of a portion of his property to Jeremiah Howie, whose land adjoined Morehead's. An unrelated document (1881) from the Guilford County superior court concerns John Motley Morehead's (1798 1866) estate and refers to land in Northampton and Halifax counties. [For more information, see: Ruth Blackwelder, Old Charlotte and Old Mecklenburg County (1973); LeGette Blythe and Charles Raven Brockmann, Hornets' Nest (1961); David Leroy Corbitt, The Formation of the North Carolina Counties 1663-1943 (1950); Mary Norton Kratt, Charlotte: Spirit of the New South (1980); and D. A. Tompkins, History of Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte (1903).]


  • 1765 - 1881
  • 1850 - 1859


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.


1.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Deeds, surveyors' statements, and other records collected for a title search in the 1850s relating to property in Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties in the vicinity of Rocky River, Mallard, Buffalo, and Coddle Creeks, probably including the land at the intersection of U.S. Highway 29 and Morehead Road, site of the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Much of this land was originally acquired by Robert Washington Smith between 1790 and 1830. Also includes a document (1881) concerning the estate of John Motley Morehead (1796-1866) and his land in Northampton and Halifax counties.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Southern Historical Collection, UNC at Chapel Hill, 1982.

Related Materials

Torrance and Banks Family Papers.

John L. Morehead papers concerning land transactions
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated

About this Site

Finding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:

Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
(704) 687-1170
Schedule an Appointment