J. Kenneth Sanford papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists almost entirely of rough drafts and photographs that Kenneth Sanford used in the composition of his book, "Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together." The collection is arranged in such a way as to illustrate how the original idea for this book developed into the finished product. The second series consists of photographs that were used to illustrate this book, though only about one third of the photos found in the book are contained in this collection (the other photos were apparently borrowed from other sources). Sanford's book was published in 1996.
- Creation: circa 1995
- Sanford, J. Kenneth (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The institution that is now the University of North Carolina at Charlotte started in 1946 just as large numbers of American servicemen were returning home from WWII. Charlotte was experiencing rapid population growth at the time, and these returning servicemen were then offered generous financial rewards in the form of the GI Bill, so that they could further their education.
The first incarnation of this university started out as "Charlotte College Center of the University of North Carolina" in 1946, and classes were first offered in the evenings in the Charlotte Central High School building. Charles Bernard was its first director who was soon followed by Bonnie Ethel Cone. Miss Cone was a part-time math teacher, but her abilities soon elevated her to administration.
Just three years after the founding of Charlotte Center, the state shut down its state university satelite campuses, and this school was taken over by the Charlotte City School District, renaming it Charlotte College--now a two-year school. At this point the school was funded by property taxes and student tuition.
As enrollment increased, the college's founders began looking for a larger and more permanent location, eventually finding and buying 250 acres in northeastern Mecklenburg County (not far from Cabarrus County) in 1957. When North Carolina established the NC Community College System in 1958, Charlotte College was absorbed into that system and at this point its funding came mostly from the state. The college moved to the new campus in 1961. By 1963 the school began offering bachelor's degrees, and in 1965 it adopted its current name. UNC Charlotte began offering program and classes leading to master's degrees in 1969 and Ph.D.s in 1992.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The J. Kenneth Sanford papers consist almost entirely of his rough drafts that eventually formed his book "Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together." The collection also contains some of the photographs that Sanford used to illustrate his book. This book was published in 1996.
Series 1 of this collection consists of Sanford's papers, and are arranged (as closely as could be determined) in chronological order. This order helps reveal how Sanford's book developed from an early idea to a finished product. Series 2 consists of an assortment of photographs, most of which were used to illustrate Sanford's book.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
J. Kenneth Sanford
Processed by Robert A. McInnes, late April and early May of 2012.
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- History (Organization)
- Sanford, J. Kenneth (Person)
- J. Kenneth Sanford Papers
- Collection processed by Robert A. McInnes
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States