Gaston County textile mill ledgers
Scope and Contents
Four ledgers or journal volumes produced by textile mills in Gaston County, one binder notebook containing technical leaflets and several books about the textile industry and science.
- circa 1900-1970s
- Smith, Norfleet (Donor, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
The Gaston County Textile Mill Ledgers are the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Gaston County, located just to the west of the commercial city of Charlotte in Mecklenburg County, became a center of textile entrepreneurship in the late 19th century and early 20th century. In its day, Gaston County may have had the largest concentration of combed-yarn sales mills of any area in the U.S. in addition to vertical mills, dye houses and machinery manufacturers.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Four ledgers on textile mills in Gaston County, NC, 1950-1970 and several textile books.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Norfleet Smith, 2009.
- Textile industry -- North Carolina Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Textile manufacturers -- North Carolina -- Gaston County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gaston County textile mill ledgers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note