Dorothy Graves papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is comprised primarily of drawings and photographs documenting the career of Dorothy Graves, including her studies at Cornell University. Also contains a small amount of material related to her husband.
- 1926 - 1965
- 1926 - 1937
- Graves, Dorothy Butler (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Dorothy Butler Graves studied landscape architecture at Cornell University. During the 1930s, she worked for Rose Greely, Landscape Architect, in Washington, D.C. Later, she set up her own practice in North Carolina. Graves was elected a member of the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1937. She married S. Porter Graves Jr., an associate of Charlotte architect, Walter W. Hook.
4.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Papers of one of the first female landscape architects in North Carolina. Consists primarily of specifications, blueprints, and photographs of landscaping projects in Washington, D.C. (1933-37). Also includes designs she completed while a student at Cornell University (1926) and two projects by her husband, S. Porter Graves, an associate of Walter W. Hook.
The Dorothy Graves Papers are divided into the following series: 1. Dorothy Graves (1926-1937); 2. S. Porter Graves Jr. (1932, 1941); 3. Photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dorothy Graves, 1988.
- Architects -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Graves, Dorothy Butler
- Graves, S. Porter
- Landscape architects Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Landscape architecture -- Designs and plans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women landscape architects -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Papers of Dorothy Graves
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note