Ruth Jetton-Oliver papers
Scope and Contents
The collection is a small assortment of papers and photographs concerning the Jetton family (especially William Howard Jetton and Sarah Elizabeth Jetton), from 1889 to 1982. The contents of this collection are closely related to two other collections in the Atkins Library Special Collections: the Jetton family papers (Mss 366) and the William Howard and Sarah Elizabeth Jetton papers (Mss 391). There are a few letters in the collection written by William A[lexander] Jetton from 1902 to 1904.
- 1889 - 1982
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Jetton family immigrated to northern Mecklenburg county late in the eighteenth century and the family owned large tracts of land in that area. One of the more prominent descendants of the family was John Lewis Jetton who, in addition to being a plantation owner, was also a surveyer, executor, teacher, state assemblyman and officer in the 37th North Carolina infantry during the Civil War. Later descendants of note were William Alexander Jetton, Sarah Howard Jetton, William Howard Jetton and his younger sister, Sarah Elizabeth Jetton.
Part of the Jetton property has since been transfered to Mecklenburg County, which turned it into a county park--Jetton Park.
0.1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection primarily concerns William Howard and Sarah Elizabeth Jetton, but is entitled the "Ruth Jetton-Oliver papers" in recognition of the donor and to distinguish this collection from the Jetton family papers and the William Howard and Sarah Elizabeth Jetton papers.
The collection is arranged into the following two series: Papers (1889-1982) and Photographs (1904-2000).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from Mrs. Ruth Jetton-Oliver in December 2010.
The UNC Charlotte Library is the legal owner and custodian of the Jetton and Oliver family papers.
Processed by Robert A. McInnes, 2010.
- Jetton, Sarah Elizabeth (Secretary) -- Pictorial works
- Jetton, Sarah Grimes (Writer of accompanying material) -- Pictorial works
- Jetton, William Alexander (Creator) -- Pictorial works
- Jetton, William Howard
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mitchell Community College (Statesville, N.C.)
- Plantation life -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ruth Jetton-Oliver papers
- Robert A. McInnes
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- The collection was donated by Mrs. Ruth Jetton-Oliver, of Cornelius, NC.