Charlotte Redevelopment Commission Records
- Charlotte Redevelopment Commission (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
The Charlotte Redevelopment Commission Records are the physical property of J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives. Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
Created in 1957, the Charlotte Redevelopment Commission was charged with projects which cleared urban areas of Charlotte but also with projects for rehabilitation of declining older neighborhoods. The organization's name changed several times during its lifespan (from Urban Redevelopment Department, to Community Development, and finally to Neighborhood Development). The areas where these urban development projects took place were Belmont, Brooklyn, Cherry, Dilworth, Downtown, First Ward, Greenville, North Charlotte, Third Ward, and Wilmore. By far the largest of these areas were the Brooklyn and Greenville areas. The first demolition took place in 1961. The Redevelopment Commission passed primary responsibility for the urban renewal program to the city of Charlotte on May 1, 1973.
2 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Collection consists of discarded photographs, slides, and photocopies of pamphlets from Charlotte's Redevelopment Commission. Photographs are of neighborhoods, apartment complexes, streets, and roads before and after renewal projects. Photocopied pamplets advertise the Charlotte Redevelopment Commission, progress reports on urban renewal of Charlotte, N.C., and future projects for uptown Charlotte, N.C.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was given to Levine Museum of the New South and later transferred to UNC Charlotte Special Collections.
A portion of the Charlotte Redevelopment Commission records have been digitized and are available online: https://goldmine.uncc.edu/index/render/pid/mss:charred
- Brooklyn (Charlotte, N.C.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charlotte Redevelopment Commission
- City planning -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Community development, Urban -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greenville (Charlotte, N.C.) -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- Municipal government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Pamphlets Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Slides (photographs) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Urban renewal -- North Carolina -- Charlotte Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Charlotte Redevelopment Commission Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note