Charlotte Civitan Club records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains records pertaining primarily to the uptown Charlotte Civitan Club. It includes newsletters, minutes, membership information, correspondence, financial material, programs, and reports. There is also a small amount of material about the regional organization, North Carolina District West. Much of the jewelry and plaques, etc. belonged to J. Will Patterson, president and active member of the Charlotte Club in the early 1960s.
- Creation: 1948-1956, 1965-1996
- Charlotte Civitan Club (Charlotte, N.C.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
The Civitan Club in Charlotte was founded in 1924 by a group of 73 young Charlotte business and professional men. They had decided that the time was ripe for the younger men to have a civic club of their own. Civitan was chosen because of its Southern beginnings (Birmingham, Ala.); because of its motto, "Builders of Good Citizenship," and because the organization's philosophy is based on the Golden Rule. The Charlotte Club's charter was presented by Civitan International on July 27, 1921. Governor Cameron Morrison was the principal speaker. The charter members included Basil Boyd, Henry Harper, Claude B. Squires, M. D., A. L. Faul, Randolph Scott, "Dick" Young, Frank O. Sherrill, and Henry Benoit, Sr. Over the years, in order to meet its service mission, the club helped to provide school lunches and free medical care to needy children, supported the Salavation Army, sponsored Little League baseball teams and Boy Scout troops, and contributed to Boys Home of North Carolina, the North Carolina Special Olympics, and similar charities. The club also sponsored the organization of new Civitan clubs in the greater Charlotte area and Junior Civinette clubs in high schools. The parent Civitan Club sponsored formation of the Myers Park Club in 1951. Other local Civitan Clubs include: Providence Civitan Club (1958), Sharon Civitan Club (1957), West Mecklenburg Civitan Club (1951), Moore's Park Civitan Club (1956). Initially all male, the organization began admitting women in 1983. Notably successful among the long list of good deeds performed by the Civitan Club was the sponsorship of the Lakewood School for mentally retarded children. The Civitan Club has also been largely responsible for the annual Youth Converence on Human Relations at Wildacres; for operation of the Little League Baseball program; for donation of Good Citizenship awards to high school students; for providing an assembly hall and huts for the Boy Scout camp.
1.5 Linear Feet (1 records center carton and 1 manuscript box)
Language of Materials
The Civitan Club in Charlotte was founded in 1924 by a group of 73 young Charlotte business and professional men. Includes reports, financial material, membership information, minutes, bound volumes of Civi-Chats (the club’s newsletter), and an essay on the club's fiftieth anniversary in 1971.
The collection is arranged into a single, alphabetical folder title series.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Clarence O. Kuester Jr. and the Charlotte Civitan Club, 1994.
Processed by Randy Penninger, 1994; and James Kusik and Deborah Lunsford, 2001.
- Charlotte Civitan Club records
- Randy Penninger, 1994; James Kusik, Deborah Lunsford, 2001
- 1994, 2001
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States