Skip to main content

Garibaldi and Bruns records

 Collection
Identifier: MS0053

Scope and Contents

This collection is comprised primarily of financial information records of a Charlotte jewelry firm, comprised primarily of ledger books (1925-75) showing customer names and purchases. Also includes summary information (1957-62) on the firm's purchases from wholesalers, bank statements (1963-65), and a biographical sketch (1941) of the firm's founder, Joseph Garibaldi.

Dates

  • 1925-1975, 1992-1996
  • 1925 - 1975

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

Biographical / Historical

In 1896, Garibaldi and Bruns opened in Charlotte just off the Square on South Tryon Street. This new jewelry firm was formed by Joseph Garibaldi (1864-1939), William L. Bruns (1876-1937), and Harry W. Dixon (1872-1916). Garibaldi, a business and civic leader of the community, was the Charlotte-born son of Italian immigrants. At the age of twelve, he began his career as an apprentice in the jewelry store of P. Lasne in Charlotte and worked for several jewelry concerns prior to forming Garibaldi and Bruns. His civic service included membership on the Charlotte Board of Alderman (1907-09), two terms in the North Carolina House of Representatives (1931, 1933), and foreman of the Mecklenburg County Grand Jury (1938). William L. Bruns was a native of Columbia, S.C., who moved to Charlotte as a young man and trained in the jewelry business before going into partnership with Garibaldi. When they formed their new business in 1896, they took on Harry W. Dixon as their bookkeeper. A native of the Hopewell section of Mecklenburg County, Dixon had also trained in the jewelry business with several Charlotte firms before accepting employment with Garibaldi and Bruns. When he was made a full partner in 1901, the firm took the name Garibaldi, Bruns and Dixon. Following Dixon's death in 1916, the firm reverted to its original name. Garibaldi and Bruns maintained its store on South Tryon Street until 1977. After that, the firm operated exclusively in three Charlotte-area shopping malls, Carolina Place, Eastland, and SouthPark. Later, the company changed its name to Fink's Jewelers and still operates in SouthPark Mall in Charlotte and Birkdale Village in Huntersville. [For more information, see the biographical sketch of Joseph Garibaldi in box 1:10.]

Extent

1 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection is comprised primarily of financial information records of a Charlotte jewelry firm, comprised primarily of ledger books (1925-75) showing customer names and purchases. Also includes summary information (1957-62) on the firm's purchases from wholesalers, bank statements (1963-65), and a biographical sketch (1941) of the firm's founder, Joseph Garibaldi.

Arrangement

The files are arranged in alphabetical order in the collection.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Piedmont Grading and Wrecking, 1983.

Related Materials

Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission Reports (Mss 77): Garibaldi and Bruns Building.

Processing Information

Processed by Randy Penninger, 1990; updated 1996.

Title
Garibaldi and Bruns records
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid written by Randy Penninger
Date
1990, updated 1996
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Contact:
Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte 28223 United Stated

About this Site

Finding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:


Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
spec-coll@uncc.edu
(704) 687-1170
Schedule an Appointment