Skip to main content



Scope and Contents

From the Collection:

This collection consists of reproductions of pen-and-wash drawings of historical landmarks in Mecklenburg County, N.C., by Teresa Beth Hough, issued by Rexham Corporation, Charlotte, N.C., in 1976. Landmarks depicted include the Berryhill House, the Robert Grier House, St. Mary's Chapel at the Thompson Orphanage, and St. Peter's Episcopal Church.


  • Creation: 1976


Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Biographical / Historical

Victoria is said to have been built about 1895 by R. M. Miller as a wedding gift for his son, R. M. Miller, Jr. Miller and his sons were substantial members of the Charlotte business community. He was an alderman for Ward One, president of the North State Club, and shared business interests with his sons in wholesale groceries, grains, cotton, tobacco, and was president of the D. A. Tompkins Company (consulting and contracting engineers and dealers in machinery), as well as a member of the board of directors of the Commercial National Bank. Victoria was owned by the brother of R.M. Miller Jr., John Walter Miller. Originally one of two identical houses, Victoria stood beside its mate, located at the corner of Tryon and Seventh Streets. Soon this central urban location was usurped by downtown commercial expansion and Victoria was moved to its present, quiet, residential site and the other house was demolished. This was believed to have taken place between 1910 and 1920. During the first half of the twentieth century the house served a variety of owners and purposes; the property was a boarding house for a period of time.


From the Collection: 0.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

From the Collection: English


The Queen Anne style structure was constructed in 1895 on the corner of Tryon and Seventh streets, and later moved to the Plaza. Originally stood at North Tryon and 7th Streets in Charlotte, N.C.

Repository Details

Part of the Manuscript Collections, J. Murrey Atkins Library Special Collections and University Archives, UNC Charlotte Repository

Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte NC 28223 United States

About this Site

Finding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:

Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
(704) 687-1170
Schedule an Appointment