Charlotte (N.C.). City Council
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
The collection concerns primarily Dr. Frank Barnes’ leadership of a conservative “watch-dog” group known as Citizens for Effective Government, in Charlotte, North Carolina, from the late 1980s to 1995. It also includes records Barnes kept once he retired from the CEFG, 1995-2001. The CFEG lobbied for minimization of local government bureaucracy and taxes.
Photocopies of scrapbooks kept by Baxter, Charlotte mayor (1943-49) and city council member (1935-41, 1951-59). Includes correspondence, clippings, speeches, and other material relating primarily to his political and civic activities.
Primarily financial records concerning appropriations and expenditures of the city government, 1890s-1920s. Includes material relating to the overall budget and to schools, taxes, business licenses, payrolls, and Elmwood and Pinewood cemeteries. Also includes a copy of the petition (1919) to incorporate Myers Park and photographs of 25 mayors (ca. 1853-ca. 1953) and of 8 city commissioners (ca. 1917-ca. 1925).
Papers of a Charlotte educator and politician, documenting her service as city council member for district 4 (1977-1985). Includes correspondence, reports, and financial data relating to such issues as the controversy over a site for the new coliseum, planning, and neighborhood preservation, especially in regard to zoning problems due to church expansion.
Primarily demographic studies conducted as a volunteer and paid consultant for such organizations as the Boy Scouts of America, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, and Health and Hospital Council. Also contains a small amount of material relating to his work as State Forecast and Rate Supervisor for Southern Bell and his service as a member of the Charlotte City Council (1977-83).
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government 4
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) 2
- Bonds -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- History -- 20th century 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) 1
- City planning -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Elections -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Mayors -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Municipal government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Neighborhood government -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- North Carolina -- Genealogy 1
- Public records -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Public schools -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Urban renewal -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Zoning -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1 + ∧ less
About this SiteFinding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:
Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
Schedule an Appointment