Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
The collection concerns primarily Dr. Frank Barnes’ leadership of a conservative “watch-dog” group known as Citizens for Effective Government, in Charlotte, North Carolina, from the late 1980s to 1995. It also includes records Barnes kept once he retired from the CEFG, 1995-2001. The CFEG lobbied for minimization of local government bureaucracy and taxes.
Papers of Andrew P. “Sam” Haywood, while the principal of West Charlotte High School documenting his advocacy of the open school philosophy in the 1974-75 academic year.
This manuscript collection was accumulated by Dr. A. Roslyn Mickelson, a professor of Sociology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, in her role as an expert witness in litigation between the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system and the parents of Cristina Capacchione. Other papers include those concerning IBM Education Village and Mickelson's research in school-to-work transition.
The collection contains a small quantity of material concerning the history of Piedmont Junior High School in Charlotte, NC, mostly from the early 1930s to the late 1940s.
Papers of the chair of the Citizens Advisory Group (CAG), formed in 1973 to develop pupil assignment guidelines for integrating Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools. Includes clippings, correspondence, findings and recommendations, reports, worksheets, notes, the CAG plan for pupil reassignment, and the joint proposal for school assignment that was ultimately approved.
Contains a wide assortment of papers, reports and records accumulated by Louise Woods, while serving as the representative from the fourth district on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education, in Charlotte, North Carolina, from 1995-2005.
- Collection 6
- Archival Object 1
- Digital Record 1
- Busing for school integration -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 3
- Busing for school integration -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 2
- School integration -- North Carolina -- Charlotte -- Planning 2
- School integration -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County -- Planning 2
- Bonds -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Charlotte (N.C) -- Shuffletown 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) -- Politics and government -- 20th century 1
- Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, N.C. : 1916) 1
- Education, Elementary -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Education, Secondary -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Educational change -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Elections -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Illustrations 1
- Interviews (Sound recordings) 1
- Junior high schools -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Junior high schools -- North Carolina -- Mecklenburg County 1
- Magnet schools -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1
- Mecklenburg County (N.C.) 1
- Mythology 1
- Open plan schools -- North Carolina -- Charlotte 1 + ∧ less
About this SiteFinding aids are guides to archival collections, including manuscripts, university records, and oral history collections. These guides help you find physical collections which can be viewed in the Dalton Reading Room on the 10th floor of Atkins Library. A small number of finding aids link to digital content online. Please contact us to learn more or to schedule an appointment:
Special Collections and University Archives
J. Murrey Atkins Library, UNC Charlotte
Schedule an Appointment